Book Club Ideas

I thought it might be nice to do make a thread to discuss a game, kind of like a book club for video games, but that involves some buy-in from other people as to what to play and discuss. Otherwise, I won’t have anyone to discuss it with!

So, if anyone else is interested, I would like to know! I can offer a few ideas for what to start with, as I have quite a few games in my backlog that I’ve yet to play or finish playing:

• Okami HD
  • Hardspace Shipbreaker
  • Emily is Away
  • In Stars and Time
  • Spiritfarer
  • Undertale

What games do y’all want to play and discuss?

3 Likes

I would love to have an incentive to play through In Stars and Time, I played the demo and loved the heck out of it.

Can confirm that Okami, Spiritfarer, and Undertale are worth playing. Though it’s been a long time since I’ve played Okami, so hopefully it still holds up!

1 Like

I actually also recently bought in stars and time and haven’t started yet! This is a cool idea though. it could get us to play some games that we might have not heard of or wouldn’t try otherwise!

I’ve already played spiritfarer and attempted to play undertale but opted to watch a let’s play instead.

I’ve never played okami and have never heard of hardspace shipbreaker or emily is away!

Some additional options that are in my to finish or backlog:
Eastward
I was a Teenage Exocolonist
Omori

Edit: i typed okami and it made sense but my brain said okage for the game okage: shadow king. i have played okami all the way through it was the first game i ever actually finished (im notorious for starting and not finishing games!) i also started the next game okamiden but i didnt finish that one orz

1 Like

Ah! Undertale was really fun!
Kinda wanna go back and replay it soon.:heart:

I would very much like to see you complete Okami. It’s such a cool little game, and the bit you did play on stream you seemed to enjoy as well 8]

Of the list you have, the only other one I am familiar with is Undertale, so they all have some intrigue for me. ^^

Okami! I’m currently on a run of Elden Ring, but Okami is a favorite.

A video game book club with this group sounds like tons of fun! I’m actually already in one with some college friends.
Some of the titles we’ve played are:

• Terra Nil
  • Contrast
  • Return of the Obra Dinn
  • Before Your Eyes
  • Frog Detective

All the ideas you suggested sound good, Exo, although I’ve already completed Spiritfarer.

2 Likes

i feel like exo would like return of the obra dinn! that one is also on my to be played

ive always avoided before your eyes bc i feel like i blink more often than a normal person orz so i would probably make hannah play that one for me heheh

I do like Return of the Obra Dinn! I would be down to replay it, I want to get the achievement for blaming it all on the captain, hahaha.

It sounds like we have a bit of interest for In Stars and Time, so I’m going to make an executive decision and say that we’ll play that for now.

I’ll open a new thread in about two weeks to discuss In Stars and Time as well as hold a poll for the next game to play. Looking forward to playing it and seeing what everyone thinks! Everyone is welcome to join c:

2 Likes

I can definitely support Emily is Away as a great book/game club selection. It’s not too long and it’s honestly really great. I’d also second the suggestions of the Frog Detective series and Before Your Eyes.

I’ve only played Emily is Away out of the games you mentioned, but the rest are also in my backlog. I’d love to participate too!

1 Like

The first book club thread is here! [t/suki book club] In Stars And Time

i’m looking at playing through Emily is Away (again) soon, since its been a long time. also i want to kind of immerse myself in those early windows/internet aesthetics. its part of some style research im doing.

so if anybody else wants to dive into that after In Stars and Time, that’d be cool!

There’s a poll to vote for what game to play after In Stars And Time in the current book club topic right now and Emily is Away is one of the options, though of course you’re free to start discussions about it whenever you’d like if you want.

If you’re interested in early windows/internet aesthetics, you might be interested in Terranova by @illuminesce or the Interface Drama Master List.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.