i need everyone to know about this spider named "hotwheels sisyphus"

as my first real contribution to this forum i present: the ultimate taxonomic vanity license plate

i blurred the image for arachnophobia but you can see it here

anyway this is the only post of this type i will make. i’m allowed one

5 Likes

what was your process when finding these animals with funny names? was it just a random occurrence or… anyways, thanks for sharing, made me smile

(how did they even see a resemblance with the looping)

there’s no process the only way to find stuff like this is to surround yourself with nerds who like this sort of thing and think about random stuff constantly

one of those nerdy friends of mine also sent me a moth called hebrew character

One I know about is the Sonic Hedgehog protein: Sonic hedgehog protein - Wikipedia

It just came up in the news a while back because of its name and it’s since been forever stuck in my head rent-free.

yea very cool! there’s also pikachurin - i have in the past done a puzzle which was ostensibly about pokemon but that actually required identifying strings within specific strains of pikachurin

1 Like

There is actually a lot of things named after pokemon, probably in part because its so popular. My personal favorite is a pair of researchers who found these 3 beatles and named them after the 3 legendary birds because of their rarity

Binburrum articuno, Binburrum moltres, and Binburrum zapdos

binburrum-1

My partner’s special interest is pokemon and they went on a deep dive not to long ago on a bunch of different things named after pokemon

You mean: Binburrum articuno, Binburrum zapdos, and Binburrum moltres :wink:

what? uno dos tres
huh? 1 2 3

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.